Monday, August 18, 2008

jrobichess Interviewed by Hip-Hop Chess Federation's Co-Founder and CEO Adisa Banjoko

I was both happy and humbled when Adisa Banjoko, co-founder of the Hip-Hop Chess Federation and award winning author and public speaker, contacted me regarding an interview. I have been following the growth of the HHCF for awhile now, and both the HHCF and the new WuChess site have been working wonders at getting young people interested not only in chess, but good values to live by. A lot of high profile people have been involved with the HHCF, including Josh Waitzkin (subject of one of my favorite movies "Searching for Bobby Fischer" and many high profile Hip-Hop artists like RZA from the Wu-Tang Clan to name a few.

To read the interview, please visit the new Hip-Hop Chess Federation blog here, and here are some videos going over what the HHCF and WuChess is all about.

RZA, Josh Waitzkin & QBert Playing Chess at HHCF!


Hip-Hop Chess Federation Talk w/ Adisa,RZA and Josh Waitzkin


WuChess Chess (Founded by RZA from Wu-Tang Clan and Chesspark)


Hip-Hop Chess Federation Main Page
Hip-Hop Chess Federation Blog
WuChess Online Premium Chess Site

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

that's so dope!!

i totally agree about chess closing a generation gap. i've been taking my tournament set to bars with me and have ended up meeting some of the most interesting older people because of it.

C.R.E.A.M.
(chess rules everything around me)

jrobi said...

Thanks cheryllayne and I completely agree about the ability of the game to reach across any generational divide!

jesse joshua watson said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
jesse joshua watson said...

J, Your vids are the best on the web, brother. Love them.

I am glad the HHCF put the spotlight on you for their blog. The latest surge of Chess Consciousness is a beautiful movement and it is sweeping across the divide, like the other poster commented.

The latest book I have illustrated is called Chess Rumble and has been getting lots of love from teachers saying it has gotten lots of boys to pick up a book for once. When they do hopefully they can catch the fever of chess.

It would be good for the world to see kids picking up pawn instead of packing guns.

Keep it up, man. Thank you.

Jesse

jrobi said...

"It would be good for the world to see kids picking up pawn instead of packing guns."

That statement is VERY well said and I completely agree. I am very interested in this book, where can I get a copy?

jesse joshua watson said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
jesse joshua watson said...

You can get them at www.chessrumble.com. But if you want to contact me through the website: www.chessrumble.com and email me your address, I will have the publisher send one to you. Or better yet, the author and I will be at the HHCF chess tourney in October in San Fran and we can sign one for you and then send that one to you.

Let me know.